Carrot Cupcakes for Katie.

Friday, May 20, 2011






















My sister requested that I make her favorite dessert for her birthday celebration: carrot cake. I'll be honest, I was never a fan of carrot cake (or so I thought) mainly because it contains nuts and so you know, I am not a fan of nuts at all.  I opted to make carrot cupcakes for the occasion and they were quite enjoyable to bake. Putting shredded carrots in a batter seemed so odd to me which I think is what added to the fun. Since I wanted to try them I was sure to leave a couple of cupcakes without nuts and let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. The cupcakes were the perfect degree of moist and not too heavy and the cream cheese frosting was absolutely delicious. This may have been the first time I made this dessert but something tells me it won't be the last!


































Carrot Cupcakes

2 ounces white chocolate
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/8 cups white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
In small saucepan, melt white chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth, and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in white chocolate, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and orange extract. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Mix in heavy cream.

Beat together the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl, and mix in the oil and vanilla. Fold in carrots and pineapple. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix flour mixture into the carrot mixture until evenly moist. Fold in 1/2 cup walnuts. Transfer to the prepared muffin cups.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks before topping with the icing and sprinkling with remaining walnuts.





14 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful cakes! Sounds easy! beijosss

Kate said...

Ok, I thought those might be for me since my name is Katie and I too love carrot cake. Now, I just have to drool over your pictures. Seriously. Those look.so.delicious.

XO, Katie
Enter my Juicy Couture Giveaway!

Claudia Moser said...

I will try this, I am sure it will be as delicous as the lemon cake :)

Rachel - Notes from my closet said...

I love carrot cake! these are so cute :)

Love, Vanilla

http://notesfrommycloset.blogspot.com

Gawgus things... said...

Whenever anyone used to mention carrot cake to me I always thought eurghhh! Then I tried it one day and yum double yum! I loved it :) Hope Katie enjoys! XXX

marcela said...

sounds yummy
http://urbanprettygirl.blogspot.com/

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

good decision, the nuts kinda throw me off too girl. these look incredz and have triggered my sweet tooth intensity mass amounts!!!!

the boyf brought me home a candy sprinkled donut last night and let me tell you it ain't got nothin' on these beauts! well done, wish i could have joined you in the nosh down. happy weekend to you both! ♥

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

carrot cake is one of my favorites! your cupcakes are frosted so perfectly!

pancakestacker said...

Oh you girls are killing me with all these dessert posts!! Keep 'em coming! I love carrot cake. Can't wait to try making this one too!!


Stop by again soon! xoxo!
http://pancakeSTACKER.blogspot.com

Kristine - A Graceful Home said...

Yum! I think I might have to try out that recipe! I just wanted to let you both know that I've passed on the Liebster blog award to you! Stop by for details! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Nicole Marie said...

i LOVE LOVE carrot cupcakes!!

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Ok, I want to make these right now! nom nom nom thanks for sharing. So happy to have found your blog through a graceful home! Newest Follower!

xo tamra

Miranda said...

Yum, those look amazing!

Miranda
www.indcfashion.com

Cookie and Kate said...

Yum! That frosting looks heavenly. I'm going to make carrot cupcakes for my friend's baby shower soon. I hope they turn out well!

/*To add pinterest button*/ 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips